Thursday 6 January 2011

06/1/11 19:22 - ISS

This was a busier pass, with 14 stations heard...


From Left to right it reads:
Callsign - Type - Mobile/Portable/Fixed - Distance - Latitude - Longitude - Number of Packets Received

Through the International Space Station, I heard Ireland, (EI7IG), England (G0GOO G6WZA), Scotland (MM0YEQ), The Netherlands (PD2RLD), Belgium, (ON6MU), Germany (DB3LA DG1IHH), Spain (EB1BE EA1JM EA2BVD), Italy (IZ1BCJ IK1COA) and Hungary (HA3HT), plotted below for your viewing pleasure.



Better than last time, but a busier pass also. Highlights include sending and receiving messages from Spain - EA1JM, Francisco Jimenez-Martin Sanchez, which went much like:

MM3ZRZ->EA1JM: Hello from Dave in Scotland!
EA1JM->MM3ZRZ: 73 from Spain Dave!

Not much, I know, but it came over 1000 miles, not including the up-down bit to space, and used less power than an energy-saving lightbulb!

That's enough space for today... back soon!

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the station setup, the ISS contact and the new site.

    I recieved a number of your packets on 144.800 and 145.825 (Dual Receiver setup). My home station runs unattended in receive mode while I am away working in Europe.

    Since the aprs.fi website was updated on the 1/11/2010 I am no longer able to see the ISS packets my home station forwards to the APRS-IS. I am looking for a way to view my received packets from a remote location. Is the station list on this blog updated manually?

    Regards and Good DX,
    Chris
    MM1PTT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Chris - It's been a bit of a long time coming!

    I spotted you on APRS.fi as an igate, haven't ever seen you before, and was somewhat curious!

    With regard to the list of received packets, AGWTracker generates them automatically and can store everything to an Access or MSSQL database, for use in a web interface or similar, or you can log in via a VNC connection to get a remote desktop and view/play with things. For here, I take screenshots and cut them to size in paint.

    Another option is, if you're of a linux persuasion, Xastir keeps its logs in plaintext at ~/.xastir/logs/* , it's just a case of tail ~/.xastir/logs/* or similar to read all the packets passing through!

    As for manual update of the blog, yep, it's currently all done by hand, but hopefully when I transfer the station over to a more Free / Open Source system, I can whack together a curl script to read logs / take screenshots / etc.

    Cheers and 73s,
    Dave,
    MM3ZRZ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulation with the station setup.

    Its good to seem more activity on APRS locally even the D-Star DPRS has declined, I had a DPRS gateway running at my home location to serve GB7DG until its internet gateway came on line I then move this to 144.6125dv (D-Star Simplex ch)but this was rarely used.

    Congratulation on your first contact with the ISS it packet radio has been off for a few days. I use http://oscar.dcarr.org/ to find the stats of the voice sats and it will let you know if the ISS is active.

    Have you had a play with any of the voice sats yet?

    Regards and 73,
    Alan,
    MM0XXP

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, that's one of a few sites I tend to use. I like ISS fan club (and their associated twitter) for ISS specific reports, and ariss.net. Celestrak provide us with Keps to keep the aerials pointing the right way.

    Not touched the voice ones yet - need to power the 70cm Preamp sequence controller before I can pass a signal through it, but that's a simple case of soldering some wires together when I get another DSub 9 socket.

    Cheers for keeping an eye on us! Comments are always welcome!

    Cheers and 73s,
    Dave,
    MM3ZRZ

    ReplyDelete